Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Our Blessed Perseverance

I truly appreciated an article in Ligonier's Tabletalk magazine this month. My wife and I are going through some real struggles right now, and Dr. Guy M. Richard's words of encouragement under the title, "Our Blessed Struggle," were timely. I would like to engage in a friendly, public debate over Dr. Richard's understanding of "Israel" in the context of Genesis 32 however. I disagree that "struggler" is the best understanding of the name Israel precisely because of the context. I think that "Prince of God" is a fitting translation for Israel.

Certainly, Jacob was a struggler, a striver or grabber after the heel. I believe the contrast the wrestling "man" at Peniel intended with the new name was that the struggler had persevered. Note the explanation which is given immediately following the renaming in verse twenty-eight. Also, the root word from which Israel is derived came to mean prince (or princess eg. Sarah, in its feminine form.) The King James translaters got verse twenty-eight right in the sense that the prince or princeps (in Latin) was the first of God. (I hear Star Trek's Enterprise Captain Piccard calling for his "Number One.") He who came out second at his birth, now turns to God (the meaning of "Peniel") and attains first place as prophesied.

There is a wonderful application in this Old Testament typology for New Testament Christians as well. We are in the already/not yet state, struggling here below, yet heavenly victors in Christ. As Jacob I have little hope of success, but as the Israel of God, I know I will persevere in the final day. We must not let go of the bruised heel to which we cling, for we trust that our King is even now preparing a crushing blow to the head of the one who would defeat us. I see the entire sweep of redemption history captured in the simple act of changing the name of Jacob to Israel.

In this season of celebrating the birth of our Savior, it is good to remember that He came to earth in lowly circumstances. A cattle stall, not a palace was His nursery. Shepherds, not regal attendants witnessed His arrival. And yes, a cross, not a crown stood waiting for Him at the end of an earthly sojourn filled with trials and tribulations designed to create sympathy for the ones He came to save. From struggle through perseverance to victory: cradle, cross, crown.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind words. I do hope that you found the article helpful, for that is what it was intended to be. Regarding the meaning of Israel, I would point you to Hosea 12:4-5. Then use that to look back at Genesis 32. I found Keil & Delitzsch helpful on this point as well (vol. 1, pp. 304-7). I think you may have missed something of my main point if I understand what you said in your post. My intention was not to show that the already/not yet was defined merely by struggle but by struggling and overcoming. As you point out, that seems clear from the Genesis 32 account. Grace and Peace to you, Clair. Blessings on your work and ministry; Kind Regards, Guy Richard

    ReplyDelete