Thursday, November 4, 2010

Words Mean Something

It is likely that I ultimately became an English teacher because my mother (coincidentally born in England) consistently corrected her children's bad grammar. Even though she did not have any post-secondary education, she belonged to a generation which believed that good communication required proper grammar and deliberate word usage.

I have been accused on more than one occasion of being a semanticist, and if I do tend to read more into words than the average Joe (or Josephine,) I do not consider it to be a character flaw. I am as guilty as anyone of tossing off an ill-considered word now and then. However, I generally try to say what I mean and mean what I say. The recent Fox News book tour interview of George W. Bush has reminded me of his unwavering commitment to do just that in spite of the consequences.

My tendency to be picky about words is what frustrates me so when I hear one of the current crop of Democrats talk about compromise in the context of working on a non-partisan footing with the Republicans. When the Dems accuse the Republicans of partisanship they mean that they won't compromise their principles. What the Dems are really looking for is submission, not compromise. I think it was Pelosi who tipped their hand soon after the 2008 elections when she said "We won; get over it."

Today I heard that Obama has signed an executive order which will, among other things, allow faith-based organizations to display their icons in public access areas. This is a compromise that has been a long time coming. I remember when the cross had to be covered for an Obama visit to a college chapel. I remember the flap over his speech at Notre Dame. Suddenly, our President sees the need to compromise his standards regarding this issue.

The word "disingenuous" is coming to mind frequently these days. It means, "lacking frankness or sincerity." Synonyms are artful, crooked, cunning, deceitful. Notice that I am one step away from saying the "L" word. Making a written accusation that a public figure has lied can elicit a charge of libel. I can say that it will be interesting to watch the Democrats deal with the loss of power in Washington; how much prevarication and back-pedalling will we see, I wonder.

Jesus counsels us to "Let your yes be yes, and your no be no, for whatever is more than these is from the evil one." (Matthew 5:37) It is evil to bend the truth to one's own ends; even telling the truth with the intent to deceive falls under judgment. I hope the new crop of elected representatives we are sending to Washington has learned this lesson. Cynicism leads me to doubt we can expect as much from the folks already entrenched there. It is often the truth behind the joke that makes it so poignant. Question: How can you tell a politician is lying? Answer: His mouth is moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment