Monday, May 28, 2012

Thanks Vets

Like Christmas or Easter, Memorial Day is one of those times when we focus on something that should be foremost in our minds every day. Every blessing we enjoy in this country has been bought and paid for by the men and women who through the years have given of themselves, sometimes at tremendous personal sacrifice, to ensure our freedoms. So, yes, we salute them today. But what exactly are we honoring?

Do we applaud war? Not me. I abhor the death and destruction that war brings, especially on the innocent. But it is necessary to have a bunch of people in a free society who are willing to stand and defend the rest of us. I am the proud son and father of US servicemen. I came of age in the Vietnam era and participated in the draft. It was a lottery back then, and my number was not called. Although I despised the way the politicians were prosecuting the war, I would have done my duty if asked. Had I not been too old, I might have enlisted after 9/11; seriously.

We are not honoring mayhem and destruction. Killing people and breaking things is not typical Christian activity, but when there are people in the world intent on killing us and breaking our things, it is only wise to have a defensive force to withstand them. The Bible teaches that God ordained certain men to carry swords (that's first century imagery) to restrain evil. Might never makes right, but there are times when right must be defended by might.

Are we honoring the policy decisions of today's leaders. Not me. There are legitimate questions to be asked in light of the shrinking nature of the globe; the libertarians rightfully ask whether it is ultimately in our best interest to project our might into every conflict in any hemisphere. I may not go as far as say, Ron Paul, on this issue, but there is a real need to reconsider America's role in the world when our battles are being financed by our grandchildren. There are many hurting people in the world that compassionate hearts ache to heal, but it seems unwise to mortgage the future give aid today.

On this day we honor the people like my son and my father who did not consider their lives too dear to risk everything to protect the rest of us back home. Forget politics; forget fiscal accountability; forget discussions about Augustine's just war theory. Just remember and salute all those who make it possible to have a free debate about all such issues. Do it today and tomorrow and tomorrow, ad eternum. They deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment