Monday, January 16, 2017

Is It Wrong to do Right for the Wrong Reasons?

I call this blog Why Heaven Always Matters Most because I believe it. There are times when the cause of Heaven seems to be accomplished by un-heavenly means, and I have to pause to consider the correct response. I recall the Gospel record of some disciples wanting to stop “good works” because the perpetrators were not “following us.” Jesus was not upset with these outliers because as He said, “no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me.” Okay, fine. But I wonder how Jesus would respond if the mighty work is done contrary to Jesus’ Word, if not His name.

The reason I am thinking this way is because of a post by a friend on Facebook. The friend made an innocent comment praising the work of Kit Cummings’ Power of Peace Project (POPP). A little research reveals that POPP is doing some really great things to bring peace to arenas of conflict, especially inside prisons. The organization is taking their message of peace to schools in hopes of preventing young people from making life decisions that will result in non-peace. This is a good thing; I would like to applaud the effort.

I dug a little deeper into the fruit of the POPP program and found a worm in the apple. On their blog, they write a glowing report of a tribe in Africa that practices a peace program. “In this African tribe, when someone does something harmful, they take the person to the center of the village where the whole tribe comes and surrounds them. For two days, they will say to the man all the good things that he has done. The tribe believes that each human being comes into the world as good. Each one of us only desiring safety, love, peace and happiness. But sometimes, in the pursuit of these things, people make mistakes. The community sees those mistakes as a cry for help. They unite then to lift him, to reconnect him with his true nature, to remind him who he really is, until he fully remembers the truth of which he had been temporarily disconnected: ‘I am good’.” Is that right? We are all good by nature.

If this were the only instance of unbiblical thinking, one might excuse it as poor judgment in choosing examples. However, more searching reveals the totally humanistic ethos of the POPP program. The Mission Statement and the Twelve Power of Peace Principles repeat the same psychobabble that secular motivational speakers have been using for years. If the POPP repackaging results in fewer fights in prison and reduced gang recruitment, I can appreciate the effort. But I cannot agree with the methods.

For one thing, their basis for peace is terribly wrong. Humans do not come into the world good; quite the opposite is true. The Bible is clear that humans are born in sin and in need of redemption. The human heart is not a place of peace, but is full of deceit and desperate wickedness. The lie perpetrated by POPP on its subjects is the same one told to Adam and Eve in the Garden by the Serpent. It is the same lie sold by many New Age religions and, sadly, many wayward souls using the label of Christian.

The other problem, perhaps worst of all, is that the POPP program leaves its followers in their sin. From what I can see, they make no mention of sin whatsoever. No sin, no need for a Cross. Ignoring sin and replacing the Cross with one’s own bootstraps abolishes the only way to true peace. The POPP way may give peace of the world’s making. Jesus said, “My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you.” The Prince of Peace gives something that rests on eternal truth; the world gives temporary peace that rests on a false premise.

On one level, I am glad that Kit Cummings and his POPP program are bringing a measure of peace to troubled waters. On another level I think it is tragic that a man who holds a Master of Theology does not teach the truth, but propagates the big lie instead. Peace on earth was promised in Bethlehem years ago; it was promised to “those with whom [God] is pleased.” As much as I want to applaud what Cummings is doing, I am sitting on my hands on this one. Heaven matters most; I don’t think Cummings is someone with whom God is pleased. I could be wrong, but for the right reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment