Sunday, February 18, 2018

Eulogy for Robert Rosencrants

Because of the 1,587 mile time-space continuum separation, I will not be present in the flesh at the funeral of my dear friend, Bob Rosencrants. I will be there in spirit (whatever that means), but I am going to share what I would say if I could be there in person.

Bob was a good friend; I mean that two ways. He was a friend who was a good man, and he was a good man to have as a friend. I don’t know if I have ever known a more generous man. For example, he once offered to help me buy a house. I don’t mean introduce me to a realtor or give me counsel about what and where to buy (although he did that too). I mean he offered me a large sum of money toward the purchase of a house. The fact that I chose not to accept his generous offer does not diminish the huge generosity of the offer. I know of other similar incidents too, as does anyone who knew Bob well.

Bob was the kind of good friend who would just up and call me out of the blue. Sometimes he had a specific question about something he was reading. He’d say something like, “Hey Clair, I am wondering about something I read and I thought you might be able to help.” Sometimes he would just call to see how I was doing; no particular reason; just a call to connect. He’d ask, “How are you and that wife of yours doing?” or something like that.

I loved having him in the Sunday School class I was teaching. He stopped coming in spite of the fact that I begged him to come back. Even that situation showed what a good heart the man had. What happened is that Bob and I had a disagreement about the meaning of a word. It was a little heated at the time, and I did not handle it properly. We eventually came to a perfectly friendly conclusion to agree to disagree, but no matter how earnestly I begged him to come back to class, he refused. You see, he felt that his presence might engender strife instead of enlightenment, so he chose not to risk the possibility. That was selflessness in action. That was Bob.

None of us who attend Bridge Bible Church with Bob will ever forget his Sunday morning prayer requests: “Hello Church. This is Bob, standing in the need of prayer.” And he was standing when he said that, even toward the last when standing became a major effort. And he was dead serious about his need for prayer, but he was even more concerned for others. I’m pretty sure Lu must have cringed a couple times when Bob shared in his own inimitable way, but those of us in the body with Bob and Lu got to feel what he felt and pray what he prayed… at least a little.

The thing I hope I can remember and imitate is the way Bob faced his last bit of time here on earth. Oh sure, he had a few moments of anger and confusion, but what I remember most is his unwavering conviction whatever happened, he wanted God to get the glory. I think that worked out the way Bob wanted.

I can see Bob up there now having a conversation with Peter, Paul, and Dr. Luke. I can imagine someone saying, "Oh, Bob! Really?" They are the lucky ones now. But we are lucky too, those of us who knew Bob. The Apostle Paul told us to imitate him as he imitated Christ. I know Bob had his crazy moments, but we could do worse than to imitate Bob as he imitated Christ. Bob Rosencrants was a good man to have around. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment