Sunday, September 17, 2023

For the Love of Cats – Again!

Several years ago, I wrote a piece called “For the Love of Cats.” What I am about to say will make more sense if you read that before you continue with this. If you haven’t the time to follow the link, I will summarize by saying that I realized back then that God loves His entire creation – even cats – so if I am going to be more like Him, I should love cats too.

A couple years after I wrote “For the Love of Cats,” the cat for whom I had begun my transformation left us. I say that quite literally because she was fifteen years old and had been unwell for some time. As cats often will, she wandered into the desert by our campsite one day and did not return. I searched the area for three days but never found a trace of her. Obviously, Karen mourned her passing, but she and I concluded that it was her time, and in her cat-like independence, she chose when and how to leave. In that time and place I wrote the following poem:

I Heard the Coyotes Sing

I heard the coyotes sing this morning

Somewhere far away up the slope

That rises to the eight-thousand-foot ridge

Where the sun made its entrance an hour before.

 

It’s an eerie sound that coyotes make

When the pack joins in chorus at night.

In the daylight it has a mournful tune

Not as frightening as the black night cry.

 

The river far below my cliff perch

Laughed at me with sparkling eyes

as it wound its way around the ox bows

Thick with sedge grass and oasis greens.

 

I laughed back at the shining river

When the resident frogs began arguing

On the muddy bank warmed by the early sun

Waiting for the next free-range cattle-fed fly.

 

Cheerful birdcalls rose from the valley

As crows rode the updraft above the cliff

And called me names I didn’t understand

With raspy, insubordinate undertones.

 

Behind me in the silent mesquite and sage

I thought I heard the soft mewing of Sadie

Our dear old feline friend who yesterday

Slipped into the desert for her final catnap.

 

I heard the coyotes sing this morning

And I stopped to listen to the sound,

Telling in its way how vast and varied

Is the circle of God’s creation.

 

For the last few years of Sadie’s time with us, I had been saying that when she was gone, our cat owning days were over. It seemed only fair to me. For nearly fifty years I had put up with cats. Surely my wife could live without a feline resident in deference to my desires. She agreed, but mournfully. There were occasional hints, and there was the picture of Sadie as her I-phone wallpaper. I finally realized that she would never not want another cat.

 After three cat-less years, I relented. I did ask that we look for the most hypo-allergenic breed available. The trouble with that was the cost. Russian Blues and Cornish Rexes and such were going to cost upwards of $1,000. Oh, drat and phooey! Let’s just rescue a kitten and be done with it. So we did. Introducing Mademoiselle Arabella Minette – Bella for short.


I am not telling this tale of a cat for self-aggrandizement. After all, this blog is why heaven matters most. Besides my aforementioned discovery that I am required to love cats, I want to emphasize the nature of love – for cats and people. If you love someone (particularly a human someone), there will be times when you must go out of your way to show that love; love without action is not true love after all. Just as faith requires action to prove it is genuine, love that does not act is meaningless.

Imagine John 3:16 ending with “God loved the world.” Without “that He gave His one and only Son,” it wouldn’t have much power to convince us of His love. And remember that He loved us “while we were still sinners.” God didn’t show His love because we were so loveable – quite the opposite. He loves us unconditionally meaning no matter what condition we are in. If you truly love someone, you must love in deed. That’s love indeed!

 


1 comment: