Thursday, March 22, 2018

Doing Things by Grace


Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

Each day my computer generates a list of people, places and things to pray for. I choose a Bible verse or passage that strikes me as important to pray over my list. Today, my regular Bible reading had me in Hebrews, and I turned 4:16 into this prayer: “[May you] hold firmly to what [you] believe [and] come boldly to the throne of our gracious God [to] receive his mercy, and find grace to help [you] when [you] need it most.”

The Greek says we “receive” (λαμβάνω) mercy, but we “find” (εὑρίσκω) grace. I know I have a tendency to make more of semantics than may be necessary, but the choice of these two words, and the way they complement each other sparked my interest. First, lambano (λαμβάνω) has a variety of meanings, receive being one legitimate way to translate it. Another word often used in translating it is “take.” Strong’s lexicon has an interesting note on this: “to take by craft (our catch, used of hunters, fisherman, etc.). Mercy is there “for the taking,” as we might say.

The word used by the writer of Hebrews for “find” (eurisko, εὑρίσκω) is also fascinating. Again, Strong’s has this to say in part, “to find by enquiry, thought, examination, scrutiny, observation, to find out by practice and experience.” I do not mean to suggest that we somehow work to find grace. Grace is freely given by God to all. However, I know in my life it has taken some “practice and experience” to find grace. I have a natural tendency to do things my way instead of the “grace-way.”

I suspect I am not alone in struggling to live by grace. The so-called American way is to pull oneself up by one’s own bootstraps as they say. The image of that old adage is instructive: pulling on one’s bootstraps will only make the boots too tight; little will be accomplished as far as getting “up,” wherever that may be. This is a good picture of what happens when we try to do something in our own human power instead of relying on God’s gracious provision of His infinite power.

The writer of Hebrews encourages us to, “come boldly unto the throne of grace” as the KJV puts it. The ESV says we should draw near, “with confidence.” Boldness comes with the confidence that we will be well received. Due to the work of our forerunner, Jesus, we have such confidence, but often we either ignore the offer of grace, or we forget that it has been made. I don’t intend to shame anyone, (least of all myself), but don’t we belittle the work of Christ for us when we refuse the free gift of grace He bought for us?

I am challenged by this thought. I share the challenge with you, my reader. Let’s drop the bootstrap analogy and practice the new one given to us “new creations.” If we fish the mercy out of the ocean of promises God offers, and then we thoughtfully apply the grace of God to our tasks, there is no limit to what we can accomplish. Literally, no limit; that’s what infinite means, and God’s grace is infinite.

No comments:

Post a Comment