Tuesday, March 30, 2021

I Pray for America

In 1 Timothy 2:1-8, Paul counsels believers to pray for their leaders so that it might go well with them. Remember that when he offered this admonition, the leaders to which he referred were among the worst possible the church might imagine. Emperor worship was required throughout the Roman world, although it could exist alongside other forms of religion. Christians, because they refused to bow to the emperor in addition to Jesus, were being harshly persecuted across the realm, especially in Rome. The application for us is that prayers are not to be offered only for those in power with whom we agree.

During the previous couple election cycles, I have made my opinion clear that certain policies of the Democrat party make their candidates unacceptable to thinking Christians. Support for unlimited abortion and the cause of the LGBTQ community are the two most plainly unbiblical positions that cause me to take my stand. Alignment with anarchist organizations like BLM should be enough to stop anyone from voting for them after the fiery summer of 2020 whether you see it as a violation of the Romans 13 principle or not. The dramatic rise of crime and violence in Democrat controlled cities should be proof enough that stifling the institutions that maintain God-ordained order is a bad idea.

In spite of this policy platform clearly devoid of biblical wisdom, I pray regularly for the Biden-Harris administration. I pray specifically that God may protect our leaders from violence; assassination or a bloody coup does none of us any good. I pray that the Holy Spirit might bring an attitude of restraint and compromise to bear on the most harmful of their policies. I also pray that justice might pour down like rain on the whole government apparatus so that it may accomplish its purpose of maintaining order and fostering true goodness regardless of party affiliation.

I also pray that God will grow the contingent of leaders who see the folly of the worst of the Biden-Harris policies. I pray that the Republicans still in power will find the courage to speak out against blatantly unbiblical policies and all unconstitutional ideas. I pray that more Democrats will come to see that the unbridled application of the progressive agenda is not in the best interest of American citizens. While they are not in the category of “leaders” for whom Paul recommended prayer, I also pray for vast numbers of voters who will turn the tide against the current power structure and return us to a more conservative approach.

I pray that abortion on demand may be stopped. There is no half-way compromise on this issue. Abortion accomplishes the killing of a human being. Killing another human being can only be permitted under the most extreme circumstances. If pregnancy puts the life of the mother at stake, the proper approach should be debated on a case-by-case basis. Under no circumstances should one human life be taken for the convenience of another human life. I pray that adoption may replace abortion as the means to resolve an unwanted pregnancy.

While there is good reason to investigate and improve law enforcement policies and procedures, wholesale deconstruction of the police is not a viable option. I pray that the underlying causes of poverty and criminality will be addressed in a meaningful way. Because of the pandemic of drug use and gang violence (often related to drug distribution), I pray that an army of committed Christians will begin to pray for healing and mount an attack on the darkness that enslaves our inner cities like a cancer. The two-front war on poverty and drugs will not be won by government programs; it must be waged on the spiritual level.

I also pray that people will not misunderstand me or those who are like-minded. We do not hate anyone. I don’t hate gays. In fact, I will openly say that if a non-believing citizen wants to practice homosexual behaviors, it is his right to do so. It is not my wish to apply biblical principles in a theocratic manner. What I will pray is that the LGBTQ movement will stop branding Christian thought as hateful and stop promoting its agenda as the only correct view. Religious freedom means all citizens have the right to believe and practice as they wish. Banning the biblical view of homosexuality and promoting only the gay position is in violation of the free exercise clause of the First Amendment.

Now more than ever we need to follow Paul’s injunction to pray for our leaders, “in order that we may live a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.” Tranquility, godliness and dignity are vanishing from American life. The final solution to our difficulties is not a partisan issue, although I have made my bias clear. The real solution to systemic evil begins by understanding where the battle lines are drawn. The centuries-old battle is fought, as the Apostle told the Ephesians, “not against blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness.” For this and for the eternal good of all people, I pray for America.

Related posts: America Held Captive; How Can They Think That? ; Romans 13 Applied; Don't be a Moron; Why I Won't Support Black Lives Matter

No comments:

Post a Comment