However, to
echo Paul, none of that is worth a hill of beans if I don’t have love. I wrote
recently that “love” in Paul’s Corinthian treatise on the subject is a verb
in the original Greek. My point was that biblical love, agape love, is made
evident by behavior. I am motivated by love for the Word and love for people to
teach the Word as accurately as possible. Jesus did not say people will know I
am His follower because I have pure doctrine; He said my love would show whom I
follow. In my defense I will say that Jesus
also said to love Him is to keep His commandments.
John
stresses that in his second letter: “And this is love: that we walk
according to his commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard
from the beginning, so that you should walk in it. For many deceivers have gone
out into the world, those who do not confess Jesus Christ coming in the flesh. This person is the
deceiver and the antichrist! Watch yourselves that you do not lose what we have
worked for but receive a full reward.” John seems to be implying that the
antichrist is anyone who teaches that we don’t have to follow Christ’s
commandments. If that is the case, we have plenty of antichrists around today.
John Mac Arthur comments, “Often Christians are willing to
compromise sound doctrine for the sake of loving others. They believe that
doctrinal precision is somehow divisive and unloving.” To the contrary,
doctrinal purity is pure loving. Granted, we are told to speak
the truth in love, meaning I suppose that our approach and tone should not
be merely accusatory. I know better than most how difficult it is to be
corrective without being critical, judgmental in my tone. The reason Paul
recommended speaking the truth is to avoid being “carried about with every wind
of doctrine by the trickery of men, by craftiness with deceitful scheming.”
(MEV)
Crafty, deceitful scheming is precisely what you find if you
dig into the teachings of the LGBTQ+ “theologians.” It is what leads adulterous
couples into thinking their sin is acceptable because they love one another. It
is what allows liberal denominations to abandon the Bible and preach a
feel-good social gospel. It is what prosperity preachers use to fleece their
followers. Paul
said that we are not ignorant of the devil’s schemes; I think we are.
I’m afraid we have let the world’s definition of love color
our thinking about what true love is. We have taken the old saw that says,
“Hate the sin, but love the sinner” and made it into, “Love the sinners, but
don’t do or say anything that would offend them.” In other words, I think many
have come to believe that loving someone biblically precludes telling them that
they are wrong in their thinking or behavior. I have been accused of hating
people because I have called their sin “sin.” I don’t think our perfect Savior,
Jesus Christ, hated the people He came to save, but He did not refrain from
calling out their sin. Remember His numerous interchanges with the Pharisees.
He spoke some very harsh words to them; I believe He did it out of His love for
them. He would have loved to see them come to the truth.
Paul’s admonition to, “Speak the truth in love,” might be understood
as, “Speak the truth out of your love for the sinner.” It is not a loving thing
to ignore sinful behavior in another person. We know that sin not only
displeases God, but it also affects the sinner, often in immediate, physical
ways (think AIDS or alcoholism or broken marriages.) It should go without
saying that habitual, intentional sin also affects the sinner eternally. I’m
not suggesting that pointing out sin in an unbeliever is a good evangelistic
strategy. However, a believer involved in a sinful lifestyle might be in for a
shock on judgment day. The loving thing to do for those believers is to remind
them of the consequences of willful sinful behavior. Speak the truth. This is
what love does. This is love.
Related Posts: Better Living Through Right Thinking; Fast Christians; The Bible on Homosexuality; Sex is a Big Deal
No comments:
Post a Comment