This post is mostly autobiographical, but I hope something in it helps someone face the realities of the battle every believer is in. I have often written (See below) that everything from Genesis to Revelation and beyond centers on a cosmic conflict between the forces of good and evil. I am not referring to the pagan mysticism of yin and yang; those are lies intended to obscure the truth made popular by the Star Wars franchise and other media hypes. What I am referring to is the plain truth of Scripture which describes the battle as an historical record with commentaries by prophets and preachers – one of the most significant being Jesus Himself.
The Apostle Paul couldn’t have been more clear than his
warning to the Ephesians. “Our struggle is not against blood and flesh, but
against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world rulers of this
darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. When
the seventy-two disciples were sent out to preach the gospel, they returned
astounded at their ability to do battle against evil forces. Jesus’ response
was to proclaim, “I saw Satan falling like lightning from heaven.” He may well
have been referring to an actual historical event in His recall. He was no
doubt present when Satan tried to wrest power from God Himself, only to be cast
down to the earth. He cautions His followers with this: “Nevertheless, do not
rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your
names are inscribed in heaven.” Indeed!
I interpret that to mean that power over evil spirits is
helpful for those afflicted, but it is paramount to remember that the power is
only there because you are a member of Christ’s family – God’s anointed, chosen
few – “the elect” as Paul calls us. When people begin to revel in their power
over the enemy, they often go astray. I know people who became deeply involved
in the so-called charismatic movement years ago. They shared teachings and
experiences with me that expounded the wonders of deliverance ministries and
demon exorcism. I was fascinated but cautious. My upbringing did not include
such wonders. I studied. I concluded that they were not wrong, but that they
had focused on the minors instead of the majors. As Jesus said, remember where
the power comes from rather than on what it can accomplish.
When I graduated from university with a degree in teaching,
I often learned that more than one hundred applicants sought the position I was
applying for. Through one of my father’s contacts, I was offered a teaching
position in a Bible college. The president of the college offered me a
part-time position with the suggestion that I take courses while teaching. I
did. That was definitely a Godly coincidence. I fell into Bible study like a
starving man into a five-course dinner. I discovered that teaching positions
were available in Christian schools, and I found one when I finished my course
of study.
This is where it gets interesting. My first position was in
a school that was so severely fundamental that I could not abide them nor they
me. Next, I moved to a school with a more broad sense of what the church of
Christ should look like, and I fit in rather well. Although I think I
flourished there, the administrator/pastor who hired me was released due to
internecine conflicts. Because I was his protégé, I was not welcome to stay. In
my next three situations, I had similar issues. I was either too conservative
or too liberal for their tastes. Eventually, I became frustrated with the petty
issues that consumed our time, and I left teaching for a sabbatical. My
seminary advisor at the time tried to comfort me by saying that he knew the
conditions of the schools where I had struggled, and he assured me that the
problem was theirs, not mine.
My expected two-year sabbatical ended up being twelve years
long. After that, I came back to teaching in a secular, for-profit college for
a few years, and then I retired. After ten years, I took a job substituting in
a Christian school in the city where we were spending our winters as RV travelers.
My reasons were strictly mercenary: I wanted some extra money. When they saw my
resume, they immediately asked if I would consider teaching full-time.
Initially, I said no. The full story of what happened is in “What Was I
Thinking.” Suffice it to say, after four requests, my wife and I concluded that
I was supposed to take the position. We assumed that the reason we were in
place was to do something for God at that school.
I have been miserable since day one. At first, I had trouble
learning four new computer programs that were necessary to do my job. Three
weeks in, I was getting comfortable with the computer, but I was still
miserable. Then I began to suffer from physical maladies. I missed more days
off work in four weeks that I had missed in twenty years of classroom teaching.
My response was to ask God what was going on. As the result of much prayer by
myself, my wife, our friends, the school staff, and the parents it has become
clear that this is a satanic attack. As I continued in prayer, I realized that
my problems reach all the way back to when I began my ministry at Christian
schools.
In the 90-91 school year, I began to suffer from a
neuro/muscular affliction that was never diagnosed. After seeing an ENT and a
neurologist, I was sent to a university study hospital for tests. They
concluded that I had been attacked by some sort of nerve virus (never
identified) that disabled the muscles controlled by my right cranial nerve.
Those included my right vocal cord. I didn’t lose my voice entirely, but
speaking became difficult with only partial use of one cord. A full day of
classes resulted in very sore muscles in my throat. That, along with my
frustrations with Christian school administration, caused me to take the
sabbatical.
Because my voice is still not 100%, I initially declined the
latest offer of full-time teaching. I relented because I believe God can
empower me to do whatever He wants me to do. That’s when the latest attacks
began. I have had sinus problems, digestive problems, emotional problems,
recurring speaking difficulties, and serious doubts about the wisdom of taking
another teaching position. Some of you may have seen my poem, written in the
midst of this entitled, “He Comes to Me in the Night.” (See below) I am not a
happy camper!
Paul
gave the Philippians some strange advice: “[Don’t let] yourselves be
intimidated in anything by your opponents, which is a sign of destruction to
them, but of your salvation, and this from God, because to you has been
graciously granted on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to
suffer on behalf of him.” This is the not first time I have marveled at how
being “allowed” to suffer is a good thing for believers. I would prefer that
God’s grace would deliver me from suffering. But I am reminded that Paul
asked God to remove the thorn in his flesh – a condition that he attributes
directly to Satan. God’s answer was that He allowed the buffeting of His
servant as a means to keep him humble. Anyone who knows me will see the likely
parallel there.
Commenting of Paul’s recommendation to take up the shield of
faith, John MacArthur says: “As a believer, the shield that protects you is
your faith in God. If you never question His character, power, or Word, you’ll
never fall victim to Satan’s attacks. That doesn’t mean he won’t besiege you;
but when he does, his assaults will be ineffective.” Hmm? That sounds like a
contradiction. “You’ll never fall victim… but [Satan will] besiege you.” That
same paradox
caused James to say, “Consider it all joy, my brothers, whenever you
encounter various trials, because you know that the testing of your
faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect effect, so that
you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing.”
I’ve probably said a hundred times that God is more
concerned with our character than our comfort. I have also heard it said that
our faith seldom grows when we are at ease; it takes pressure to make a
diamond. So, I struggle; I raise my shield against Satan’s fiery darts. I’m
waiting impatiently for the maturity that will allow me to consider my
situation “all joy.” The enemy wants Christian education to fail. Our pastor at
the school told the students that they were fortunate to be starting their
lives as believers at a young age; they have a lifetime to serve Christ. Satan
sees that too; he sees an army of well-equipped soldiers coming against him. I
pray they will all raise their shields and wield their swords in a wave of
victory for the Kingdom. In the meantime, I battle against the spiritual
wickedness in the heavenlies.
Related Posts: War is Hell;
Understanding
Salvation; It’s
Not All About You
He comes
to me in the night,
That
ancient enemy of my soul.
He
whispers in my sleepy ear
That I’m
not up to the fight.
I tell
my heart not to fear
When I
wake in the valley of shadow
I remind
myself of God’s promise
Always
to be near.
In the
dark of night, it is good to know
That God
has promised to bless me.
And when I rise with morning light
He’s with me wherever I go
No comments:
Post a Comment