Saturday, October 3, 2009

Open Letter to Debbie Stabenow

Dear Senator Stabenow,

The real difference between your opinion and mine is summarized in the first sentence of your second paragraph: "I believe that health care is a right not a privilege." It is contradictory and inflammatory to propose as a right something which comes at the expense of another's right. If I say to a fellow citizen, "I have the right to end your life," he would surely disagree with me, and I suspect, so would you. My rights end where they impinge on my fellow citizen's rights. Yet you (and your like-minded political peers) think nothing of infringing on my rights to liberty, privacy, property and more by insisting that I pay for my fellow citizens' health care. They do not have the right to ask me to pay for their medical costs any more than I have the right to ask them to pay my mortgage. It does not fundamentally alter the situation if you make the request from the seat of power granted to you by the people.

The "political will" you reference as a justification for your actions is evidently not the will of the people, rather it is the will of a select group (mainly politicians) who desire to remake society after an image not supported by this country's founding documents. The uproar you have been hearing in the last few weeks clearly indicates that the will of the polis (the people,) the true "political will" is not in favor of nationalizing, socializing, government option-izing our health care system. If you wish to do your job properly, you will act as a representative of all the people of Michigan and withdraw your support for any health care reform that requires the robbing of citizen Peter to pay citizen Paul's medical bills. Do that, and I firmly believe you would become an overnight national celebrity, and perhaps stand a chance to be re-elected. Fail to do that, and you may ride out of Washington on wave of voter discontent akin to 1994, only this one may be more like a tsunami.

Sincerely,

Clair H. Verway

No comments:

Post a Comment