Sunday, July 14, 2024

Righteous Indignation

The Psalmist said:

O God, you know how foolish I am;
    my sins cannot be hidden from you.
Don’t let those who trust in you be ashamed because of me,

    O Sovereign Lord of Heaven’s Armies.
Don’t let me cause them to be humiliated,
    O God of Israel.
For I endure insults for your sake;
    humiliation is written all over my face.
Even my own brothers pretend they don’t know me;
    they treat me like a stranger.

Passion for your house has consumed me, 

I once heard a version of the familiar quip that promised: “God watches over fools and Englishmen.” I feel doubly blessed by that thought because of my ancestry and my propensity to act foolishly at times. Because I have chosen to write for a public audience, many others besides God know of my foolishness. I have argued in the past that my insistence on being right about everything may border on foolishness in some cases. I also share the Psalmist’s concern that something I write may cause someone else to be “ashamed” or “humiliated.” Or, as has happened too frequently, that some may “pretend they don’t know me.” I have been un-friended on Facebook and shunned in real life because of my stated positions. I am sorry about that.

However, as I wrote before, “If God’s Word offends people, and I suffer the consequences, I am getting what Jesus promised: “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.” In other words, my love of God’s Word and His ways will sometimes drive me to stake out a position that makes others uncomfortable. I am reminded of the only time recorded in Scripture when Jesus was angry. The Gospel writer tells us that he was acting in accord with the psalm that says, “Zeal for your house has consumed me.” The word “zeal” can be translated indignation. Because it was the Perfect Son of God doing it, it was righteous indignation. The word “consumed” means to be overwhelmed. That tells me that there are times when that kind of attitude is called for – let the chips fall where they may.

The reason I am writing about this again is because of what I see happening in America. Although the percentage is shrinking, polls still suggest that a significant number of Americans are conservative, believe in God, read their Bibles (occasionally), and express a concern for the sanctity of life and family values. In spite of this, society is becoming ever more pagan, and officials continue to be reelected at all levels who share none of those traits. Since we are entering another presidential election season, the disingenuous claims and outright lies of politicians are filling the airwaves once again.

What I want to ask is where is the righteous indignation? Young people are being subjected to “gender affirming therapy” which has proven to be disastrous far too often. Cities are being turned into war zones because of the idiocy of defunding the police. Billions of dollars are being sent overseas to fund questionable causes while our national debt soars to stratospheric heights. The border with Mexico is being left undefended allowing millions of people to flood the country, many of whom are dangerous criminals or terrorists who wish us harm. Meanwhile, church attendance dwindles, and anti-Christian sentiment rises.

I remember a time when we sang songs like this in church:

Stand up; stand up for Jesus / Ye soldiers of the cross.

Lift high the royal banner / It must not suffer loss.

Or

Onward Christian soldiers / marching as to war

With the cross of Jesus / going on before

Where are the Christian soldiers? As I have said before, we are in a cosmic battle against the forces of darkness. When Jesus told Peter the gates of Hell would not prevail against His church, He was invoking military imagery. He once implied that His kingdom would be taken back from the enemy by force. Almost without exception, the church in America has forgotten that aspect of being the church. There is an old theological term not often heard anymore that should be revived; the body of Christ in this age was referred to as the “Church Militant.” I feel like the Psalmist when he wrote, “My eyes pour out streams of tears because people do not follow your instruction.”

Wake up, church, or we will lose the battle without firing a shot. I know; we will ultimately win the war. Christ assured that on the cross. But there are battles to be fought in the meantime. Take Paul’s admonition a little more seriously: “Put on the full armor of God… and stand!” To mix my metaphors, we need to get our light out from under the basket and charge into the kingdom of darkness carrying Kingdom light. Turn your righteous indignation into righteous assignation.

Related posts: When Being Right is Wrong; For God’s Sake; The Importance of Being Right; Disagree Agreeably

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment